It is obvious that many Nigerian universities do not accept third for Masters degree.
However, there are quite number of universities that accept third class degree for masters program. This is true and will serve as a welcome relief for students who wish to further their education to the level of masters but had doubt minds previously on which university that will accept them by virtue of their results.
This article provides top Nigerian Universities that you can easily apply to and get admitted without stress.
Truth to be told, one of the most difficult thing to do in Nigeria is to apply for masters program with third class result and also getting job with the same result too can be very challenging.
Meanwhile, there are two steps advised to be taken that easily work before your application for a master degree, and these includes: having adequate work experience and getting a postgraduate diploma.
Majority of Nigerian institutions can only allow second class lower division bachelor’s degree to apply for masters and this may look unfair especially not those with third class; but not to worry as this article uncovers many Nigerian universities that accept third class and also gives you their requirements.
Do read carefully and apply to the once your mostly meet their requirements.
Top Nigerian Universities That Accept Third Class For Masters:
University of Ibadan (UI)
This is one of the most prestigious institutions in Nigeria. University of Ibadan is one of the lenient as far as accepting students for master program. To apply for masters with third class in this school, you must have a good work experience and a relevant postgraduate diploma (PGD). By reasons of applying for masters with third class in the university Ibadan, the courses available includes the following:
- Masters of professional Ethics
- Professional masters in business computing
- Professional master’s degree in forensic science
- Master of managerial psychology
- Professional master of science in legal criminology and security psychology
- Professional Masters degree in Agroforestry
Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU EKPOMA)
AAU Ekpoma, mostly accept minimum of second class lower division 2.2 but there are exceptions to this rule.
For instance, fif you are applying for LL.M, you will be considered based on having least 5 years post call.
Also, pursuing masters in architecture is possible if you have a portfolio you have been updating for at least a year.
However, you be required to undergo an interview in the department of Architecture before your application will be accepted. You will also be considered for admission for Masters with your third class bachelor’s degree if you have PGD or Higher National Diploma or any other professional qualification from a recognized university.
Post graduate options available at the AAU include the following:
- postgraduate Diploma in Architecture
- Postgraduate Diploma in Geography and Regional planning
- Postgraduate Diploma in Electrical/Electronics
- Post graduate Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
- Postgraduate Diploma in Material/Production Engineering
- Post graduate Diploma in Botany
- Postgraduate Diploma in industrial Chemistry
- Postgraduate Diploma in Computer science
- Postgraduate Diploma in Statistics
- Postgraduate Diploma in Microbiology
- Postgraduate Diploma in Zoology
- Postgraduate Diploma in Public Administration
- Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education
University of Jos (UNIJOS)
Like other universities mentioned, entry requirement for masters degree for people who have third class, remains having valuable work experience and getting postgraduate Diploma.
Available master’s degree courses for third class bachelor’s degree holders includes:
- M.Sc Computer sciences
- M.Sc Biotechnology/M.Sc Food and industrial microbiology/M.Sc Environmental microbiology
- M.Sc clinical psychology/M.Sc organizational psychology/M.Sc social and terrorism psychology
- M.Sc Architecture
- M.Sc Urban and regional planning
Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT)
At ESUT, students with bachelor’s degree seeking a masters degree will have to first obtain a postgraduate degree with a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.00/5.00.
Prospective masters students who meet these requirements are considered for admission for masters degree.
University of Benin (UNIBEN)
The case is absolutely different at UNIBEN. If you have a third class bachelor’s degree with UNIBEN ort other recognized university in Nigeria, you will be given a provisional admission for masters degree.
Lagos State University (LASU)
The lagos Lagos University offers admission for Master to third class bachelor degree holders on the basis of first acquiring a postgraduate Diploma. You will be eligible to get admission in some of their courses like Masters in international Relation and Strategic Studies (MIRSS) etc.
Ahmadu Bello University Zaria (ABU Zaria)
If you have third class and wish to pursue a masters degree at ABU, Zaria, they will require you to complete a postgraduate Diploma with at least five years of post graduate work experience.
Tai Solarin University Of Education (TASUED)
To be able to gain access for masters at TASUED, you will need a postgraduate Diploma in the relevant course you wish to apply for masters degree.
Taraba State University (TASU)
At Taraba state University, potential masters students can only get admission into the faculty of agriculture as long as they have five years experience of practice.
Kaduna State University (KASU)
Kaduna State University only accepts students for masters who have a postgraduate Diploma with nothing less than CGPA of 3.5.
University Of Calabar (UNICAL)
At the university of Calabar, the faculties below accept third class holders provided they have a postgraduate Diploma
- Department of Agriculture and Rural Sociological
- Department of crop science
- Faculty of basic medical science
Cross River University of Technology (CRUTECH)
At CRUTECH, third class with as low as 2.75 CGPA and a postgraduate Diploma are considered for masters degree.
Umaru Musa Yar’adua University (UMYU)
The only program at Umaru Musa Yar’adua that a third class bachelor’s holder can apply to for Masters is M.Sc in Resources Development. They also require you to have at least five years work experience.
Covenant University (CU)
This institution accepts masters students so long as they have a postgraduate Diploma with nothing less than CGPA of 3.50
Osun State University (OSU)
Below are the available course options and possible requirements at the university of Osun state for potential masters students who are holding third class bachelor’s degree.
- Professional masters in international studies (MIS) and masters in intelligence and strategic studies (MISS)-five years work experience in the relevant field.
- Professional masters in Environmental management-PGD or three years work experience.